10.01.2013

31 Days of Pure Joy: Day 1~ The Defining


     I love words. Don't you?

     It's a passion of mine...the funny ways they link together to make sense, odd meanings, origins, and really lengthy words such as supercalifragilisticexpialidoscious.

 
     I also enjoy discovering the meanings of words, which boosts the effectiveness of my writing.

     Did you know that there is a distinct difference between the words joy and happiness? They are not to be applied interchangeably to that tickly excitement in your stomach.

      According to faithful Merriam-Webster, joy and happiness can be used interchangeably.


      However, to Christians, joy is the strength that God gives no matter what the circumstances. (At least, that is my definition.) Happiness is only temporary...a new car...a delicious meal...a dream vacation. All those things pass away.

     Joy is lasting.

source

     Nehemiah 8:10b says, "The joy of the Lord is your strength."

     Habbakuk 3:18 says, "I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior."

     Acts 16:31 says, "The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole household."

     Take a guess in the comments as to how many times joy or joyful or joyfulness appear in Scriptures (not including rejoice or any form of it). DON'T LOOK IT UP! Promise me you won't! It's a guessing game. EnJOY! Whoever is closest wins a pink tissue paper flower to brighten their décor!

     Joy to the world!

~Madeline

To see all the posts in this series, click here.

5 comments:

  1. I promise I didn't look it up;)
    799
    ~EW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...827. That's my final answer (until I find out the true one!!) Great post...so true and necessary to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is 1013 times. I also like the #13 and needed to use it in some fashion today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. So says your friend and loyal companion,
      Katrina
      ;)

      Delete

Thank you for reading! Also, thank you for making my day brighter with your encouraging words. I cherish each and every comment. If you check back in a day or two, I should have responded to your note. Thanks for dropping me a line!

~Madeline