10.08.2013

31 Days of Pure Joy: Day 8~ The Hoping

      "Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy." ~1 Peter 1:8

     I love our house. It's not because of the paint colors, decorating, location, or cleanliness, those things people look for when purchasing a new house. It's because our house is a home, thanks to my family. We have made a myriad of memories here.

     But many of you know that we have put our house up for sale, and it has been up for sale for awhile. That is the main reason we made the updates in THIS POST. (Click to see.)


     This doesn't mean we are moving. It just means our house is up for sale.

     That's how we do things in my family. Step by step, we try to live with open hands.

     This experience has stretched me. It has retaught me things I thought I knew: patience, flexibility, and the definition of a perfectly clean house.

     Many times now, I have had to speedily scrub and tidy the house floor to ceiling and leave it with lights on and the carpet perfectly vacuumed. Exhausted but prayerful, I run off to errands or to do school at someone else's house.

     But while I think of other things, our house is invaded by strangers who discuss every little beautiful and not-so-beautiful detail of my house, critiquing the very rooms I have lived in and loved on.

     At first, this thought made me mad.

     This home is a part of my family's memories, and people critiquing it doesn't sit right with my firstborn protective instincts. I am not there to defend every chip on the wall and the beautiful Nerf wars that caused them. I can't explain that we would change the bathroom wallpaper if we had the time and money and expertise available to us. I can't tell the observers and their realtor that this house is beautiful.

     Even though God works in mysterious ways, we believe in Him and are filled with inexpressible and glorious joy. We have a hope--eternal hope for heaven, yes--but also hope that God will sell our house in his perfect timing. This hope brings me joy despite my weariness and weakness.


     The weather turned chilly on October 5, but I noticed this flower blooming on the porch. It blooms in spite of the lockbox on our door handle for the realtors to use.

     That flower defines hope and joy for me in a way words can't. I want to bloom despite the spontaneity and challenges of selling our house.

      "Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy." ~1 Peter 1:8

~Madeline

To see all the posts in this series, click here.

1 comment:

  1. Come to my house!!!!!! Soon!!!!!!!!! (I love your house!!!! EVERYone should love it!!!!!!!!) love you my friend!
    Katrina (| >---> (())

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Also, thank you for making my day brighter with your encouraging words. I cherish each and every comment. If you check back in a day or two, I should have responded to your note. Thanks for dropping me a line!

~Madeline