2.25.2014

How to Conquer Your Fears


     The last two weeks, we 've been talking about fear.

      Now it is time to conquer your fears-- the tiny, creepy ones like ants, elevators, spiders, snakes, and sloths -- and the super terrifying ones like the fears of public speaking, loneliness, and rejection.

      I always try to conquer the first kind of fear with avoidance, but that can only last so long. Living in Texas, I see ants a lot more than my cousin will see sloths. I just try to stay calm and hope for the best-- no ants crawling on me.

     The second kind of fear is not conquered by saying "I won't be afraid of _______" because denying your fears just reminds you of them. These fears are defeated only by ignoring them and distracting your mind with "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy."

     Fear is a tool Satan uses.

     "Fear is a powerful motivator." ~my dad

     "Fear makes us sabotage ourselves." ~Jeff Goins

     That's not all fine and well, you say.

     Here are practical tips to escaping one of Satan's most powerful tools:

  1. Ask for God's help. "Hey, God, I am really terrified of this big, scary thing:___________. I am asking you to help me overcome it."
  2. Memorize Scripture. Filling your mind with God's truth will help you whenever you start to feel weighed down by your fear. One of my favorites is Psalm 19:14, which I say whenever the devil tries to get a foothold on me.
  3. Ask someone to hold you accountable and help distract you from your fear.
     How do you overcome your fears?

~Madeline

1 comment:

Thank you for reading! Also, thank you for making my day brighter with your encouraging words. I cherish each and every comment. If you check back in a day or two, I should have responded to your note. Thanks for dropping me a line!

~Madeline