2.18.2014

What Are You Really Afraid Of?



     My dad has this little joke.

     (Aren't dads good with jokes?)

     It could be more of a sage saying depending on how you view it.

     He says, "A man survived a 1,000 story fall (the idea is it was a long fall) from the top of the building."

     While that sounds amazing, here's the kicker.

     "It was the landing that killed him."

     Duh! Ok...that story came with extra cheese, but there is truth in it.

     What are you really afraid of: the fall or the landing?

     We are asked many times throughout our short lives what our greatest fear is.

     I used to say my greatest fear was heights. This was because I had had a few traumatizing experiences at the top of Pine Cove's zip line tower. I had a limit as to how small I liked to see people way below.

     My stomach couldn't comfortably handle it.

     I'm pretty much over it, except my brother will never be able to convince me to go skydiving.

     EVER.

     There is, however, a difference between your greatest fear and the thing you are most afraid.  Technically, I would now call my dread of heights the thing I was most afraid of.

      My greatest fear is something I can conquer. It's on the more spiritual side of things. None of these are in any particular order.

     Some common examples:
  1. Fear of failing to meet other's expectations (people-pleasing)
  2. Fear of making decisions
  3. Fear of failing in school (odds are...you won't)
  4. Fear of new situations
  5. Fear of meeting new people
  6. Fear of losing God's love (you can't lose His love!)
  7. Fear of public speaking
  8. Fear of rejection
  9. Fear of being alone
  10. Death (my bro said death by torture...thanks for those gruesome images, P!)
     Common examples of physical things we are most afraid of:
  1. The dark
  2. Heights
  3. Spiders (Shelob fits in this category.)
  4. Ants (my most terrifying thing)
  5. Elevators
  6. Flying
  7. Snakes
  8. Sloths (shout out to my favorite awesome cousin!)
  9. Cockroaches (ok...women are scared of basically any buggy thing)
  10. Mall Santa Clauses (I mean, come on...am I the only one?)
     Please comment if you want to share your: 1. Greatest life fear and 2. Your physical fear.

     My brother is afraid of anything to do with dissecting eyeballs. So while he tries to convince me to go skydiving, I will convince him to go to a biology lab and poke an eyeball around.

     Would you share?

     This is real. This is gut-wrenching and terrifying in itself, letting others know your deepest secret. But you can do it. If you don't want it on the internet, e-mail me. It's really easy if you are getting this via e-mail. Just reply.

     Otherwise, enter your e-mail on my blog, so we can be in touch.

~Madeline

2 comments:

  1. Great topic. Don't know what I'm afraid of unless you are counting "fear of the Lord" which is more of a healthy respect then being afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Fear of failure 2. Fear of flying

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Also, thank you for making my day brighter with your encouraging words. I cherish each and every comment. If you check back in a day or two, I should have responded to your note. Thanks for dropping me a line!

~Madeline