5.02.2014

Minions in the Kitchen and Other Random Thoughts

     Note: This post is especially for aspiring writers. :)
 

     Fridays are cray cray (hip teenager term for crazy)!

     This is the first installment of a new crazy idea I've had. I'm calling it "Random Thoughts." On Fridays, I'll just write about any cray cray topic that's come up in my imaginative, adventurous head. As a writer, my brain thinks ingenious little phrases at the worst possible times.

     I end up running across the duplex scavenging for a pen and grabbing a notebook from my desk to scribble the strange phrase. I then save the silly-sounding topic until I need it. It's one way I find topics to write about when my creativity is dry.

     Without further ado, let the randomness ensue:

     Minions in the kitchen~ Despicable minions are crawling into the kitchen. They want munchies. The chocolate fountain is dripping yummy goodness into Phil's mouth while Dave eats ice cream by the tub. Soon they are singing and dancing just because that is what minions do. The dangerous journeys are not their fear. They are swimming in Gru's jelly, just happy to be alive and eating. Mo devours the pickles while Steve gives him tickles. The smiles on their faces cannot be compared with anything. They're just too adorable. Too mischievous. Too ravenous. Their yellow faces shine and their eyes get big when they open the refrigerator marked End of World Reserve Supply. Their crummy faces are about to get crummier!

     When I speedily write something like this (and I am publishing a rough draft here!), a good exercise is to go back through and highlight or underline phrases or words that stand out. Here goes:

     Minions in the kitchen~ Despicable minions are crawling into the kitchen. They want munchies. The chocolate fountain is dripping yummy goodness into Phil's mouth while Dave eats ice cream by the tub. Soon they are singing and dancing just because that is what minions do. The dangerous journeys are not their fear. They are swimming in Gru's jelly, just happy to be alive and eating. Mo devours the pickles while Steve gives him tickles. The smiles on their faces cannot be compared with anything. They're just too adorable. Too mischievous. Too ravenous. Their yellow faces shine and their eyes get big when they open the refrigerator marked End of World Reserve Supply. Their crummy faces are about to get crummier!

     Just like that.

     Which phrase is a favorite of yours? Do you do any writing practices even if you aren't a writer? I would encourage you to. It thrills the imagination!

     Try it. You don't have to publish it. Just keep a secret journal of your writing attempts.

     Please. For me. Why not right now?

~Madeline

1 comment:

  1. Minions laugh.
    Minions rest.
    But every Minion likes
    Reading your blog best :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Also, thank you for making my day brighter with your encouraging words. I cherish each and every comment. If you check back in a day or two, I should have responded to your note. Thanks for dropping me a line!

~Madeline