9.16.2014

The Love Seat I'm Sitting On

     After a morning of cinnamon rolls and shopping, my mom and I turn our wheels towards home. We're spending a week together in celebration of my birthday.
 
     "Garage Sale" a signs advertises.
 
     "It's probably almost over, but do you want to check it out?" she asks.
 
     I grin. Recently, we've been learning how to scout out garage sales, and this is bound to be a great one. The neighborhood is a nicer one, and we pull up in front of the house. Tramping through the dewy grass to the garage door, we discover a menagerie of outdated VHS tapes, beat-up board games, and an assortment of other things we really don't need or want.
 
     It is the tail end of the sale, and everything is clearly picked over.
 
     "Hey," she whispers, "look at that."
 
     My eyes alight on a sleek, boldly patterned love seat. I am taken back by my mother's sudden interest in such a large piece of furniture, especially when our boys are out of state.
 
 
     Turns out, she's never bought any furniture second-hand. Eyes bugging at the price missing a zero, we ask the lady selling it about the piece.
 
     A few minutes later, we are heading out, no furniture with us, and no money exchanged. Phone numbers, however, were exchanged. And over the next few days, my mom kept thinking about the beautiful piece of furniture at the unbeatable price of $50.
 
     "Even if we didn't end up using it (even though I can think of several places I'd like to put it), we could sell it on Craigslist for twice that much," Mom said over and over again, justifying her choice.
 
     Ok. I take it back. We did beat that price. We called the lady, said we wanted the piece, asked her to lower the price to $40, and practically shoplifted the piece with a friend's pickup.
 
     Done! And a steal too. She was clearly eager to get rid of it, even though it is in pristine condition, and a very nice piece.


     Right now it is in our study. You might have seen it in yesterday's video.

     We brought it home in June. Now it's my daily perch with my computer to type these posts, do my schoolwork, Tweet, Pin, and more.

     I'm sitting on it now. It's so comfortable, and the fabric will work until we can get it recovered in something more neutral. (I'm thinking light grey or plum.)

~Madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Also, thank you for making my day brighter with your encouraging words. I cherish each and every comment. If you check back in a day or two, I should have responded to your note. Thanks for dropping me a line!

~Madeline