5.15.2015

The Best Books for Pre-teen Girls


     I've been asked a lot in my lifetime what books I recommend. I love giving personal recommendations, especially to people who I know well enough to judge what they would like. My mom prayed for me when I was younger that I would have a love for reading, and I always have!

     I'd love to share with you my favorite books for pre-teen girls (8-12 years old). I'd consider myself an expert since I read in a variety of genres, was just a pre-teen myself not too long ago, and have lots of friends in that age group.

The series:
  1. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
  2. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
  3. Mandie series by Lois Gladys Leppard (I devoured all 40 of these super short mysteries.)
  4. The Bible by God (duh!)
  5. Pippi Longstocking books by Astrid Lindgren
  6. A Life of Faith series (adapted from Martha Finley's Elsie Dinsmore)
  7. The Giver quartet by Lois Lowry
  8. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  9. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
  10. Redwall by Brian Jacques (the only books on this list I haven't personally read)
The stand-alone books:
  1. Matilda by Roald Dahl
  2. Homer Price by Robert McCloskey
  3. Absolutely Truly by Heather Vogel Frederick
  4. The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting
  5. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (a gentle introduction to the topic of the Holocaust)
  6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  7. Tales From Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb (a story-form into to the Bard)
  8. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  9. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (an intro to the Salem Witch trials)
  10. The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt by G. A. Henty
     So, that's the list. Let me know if you or a pre-teen girl you know try any of them! :)

~Madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Also, thank you for making my day brighter with your encouraging words. I cherish each and every comment. If you check back in a day or two, I should have responded to your note. Thanks for dropping me a line!

~Madeline