9.20.2015

Currently Reading...


     These are the five books I'm currently reading. I'd like to share what I'm thinking about them so far, how far along I am in them, and why I'm reading them in the first place. I am not necessarily recommending or vouching for the character of any book.

     1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith ~ This book follows a young girl who loves to read. It starts very slowly, and there is a whole lot of backstory and small town description which kind of reminds me of To Kill a Mockingbird. The main character's childhood is not, in a word, ideal.

     I am on page 108 of 404 or 27% of the way through this book, and I read that entire chunk in one Saturday. And that was almost a month ago, so that may tell you something about the book or my lengthy and completely overwhelming TBR (that's "to-be-read" around these bookish parts) list! I'm reading it because my favorite book blogger (Modern Mrs. Darcy) and my cousin both recommended it.

     2. Emma by Jane Austen ~ This book is the story of Emma Woodhouse's judgment of the heart and poor matchmaking skills. (Don't tell her I said that!) I love Jane Austen, and this book is no exception. So far the character descriptions and plot are on point.

     I am on page 25 of 474 or 5% of the way through this book, and I have been reading it while I wait for my dual credit classes to start. I'm reading it for one of those classes, which has us tackle a "passion project." I love Jane Austen, so I get to read Emma for my project. I've already written one essay about it and will be writing two more for this class. I'm also reading it because I got the pretty edition above for my birthday. Thanks, Mom! :)

     3. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens ~ In case you haven't figured it out yet, I love the classics. Great Expectations isn't my favorite Dickens so far, but it's good. I'm rarely motivated to read it which is why I've been working on it since for probably close to a year off and on. I picked it up for reals in July and got serious about it...

     I am on page 163 of 512 or 31% of the way through this book, and I only read it when I feel super motivated. I am reading it for "A book you started but never finished" on PopSugar's 2015 50 Books Reading List. That tells you a lot. A LOT. But I just won't give up, not when I'm a third of the way through.

     4. Rules of Murder by Julianna Deering ~ This is an eBook (I'm not sure if it's in print) described as "Agatha Christie meets Downton Abbey," which instantly won me over. The writing is just ok, honestly. It's a murder mystery, not a how-to book about murder, I PROMISE!

     I am on page 56 of 336 or 16% of the way through this book, and that 16% chunk was (once again) in one sitting. I haven't picked it back up because I'm just not a huge fan of the eBook format. I'd like to read it when I'm travelling or something. (I get carsick if I read a book but not when I'm on my phone.) I'm reading it because it sounded good and was free and because I thought it would be a good idea to have an eBook downloaded on my phone (for an emergency, ya know.)

     5. The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin ~ I just started this book. It's very bookish and for bookworms. I have a feeling it's going to be good.

     I just started it, like I said, but I feel like I will be picking it up in oh!--I don't know--ten minutes? As soon as I finish this post? I'm reading it because Modern Mrs. Darcy (again) recommended it. I'd describe it as a booky-book about a librarian and books for bookworms who like to read books about books and bookworms.

     Yep. Bookish.

     Anyway, everyone likes to know what other people are reading, right? I told you what I'm reading. So it's your turn. Tell me in the comments everything you are currently reading (which for some of us, can be like ten or more books).

~Madeline

1 comment:

  1. I'm slowly working through 10 of your Top 11 favorite books. Right now I'm reading And Then There Were None. ; ) Thanks for cheering me on so sweetly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Also, thank you for making my day brighter with your encouraging words. I cherish each and every comment. If you check back in a day or two, I should have responded to your note. Thanks for dropping me a line!

~Madeline