9.18.2015

Ready for Some Madeline Drama?


     I got into theater in December of 2007. I was eight years old, and my brother was six. We were goslings in Charlotte's Web, alongside my older cousins who played Fern and Avery. Ever since, my brother and I have been pouring our little hearts out on the stage through big and small roles (although we all know there are no small parts, only small actors.) :)

     We treat every role like it's important and do our very best. Even though it's just community theater. And sometimes we're just the adorable goslings who run on and off the stage two or three times. Because other times, he is in a drama. Other times, I am the narrator who gets long monologues and quite literally gets the spotlight. Fun fact: Every play I've ever been in (except for the most recent one), I was in the very first scene.

     Anyway, you get the idea. We're into theater. And every thespian has one or two characters they'd just LOVE to play.

     Once you're a teenager, community theater is hard. Not because we're busy (we aren't) but because it's harder to find a role. There are plenty of places for adorable kids and experienced grown-ups, but rarely does a play roll around (get it? roll/role?) that is one of those classics we always wanted to star in.

Image

     For me, now is a time to mourn those characters I grew up with but am now too old to ever play. Here is my list:
  • Jo March (Little Women)
  • Susan Pevensie (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe)
  • Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables)
  • Jane Banks (Mary Poppins)
  • Wendy Darling (Peter Pan)
     But we can also celebrate that my community theater did a production of Little House Christmas, and I got one of my dream roles, Mary Ingalls.

     I also got a few roles I never expected but that fit me perfectly.

     Here is the definitive list of the roles I have been privileged to play as a child.
  1. Gosling (Charlotte's Web, 2007)
  2. Erin Walton (The Homecoming, 2008)
  3. Orphan (Oliver!, 2009)
  4. Helen (A Christmas Story, 2009) I got to threaten a bully who ran away scared, and it was the best! And yes, this is the play about Ralphie and his red rider bb gun if you're wondering.
  5. Mary Ingalls (Little House Christmas, 2010)
  6. Beth Bradley (The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, 2012) I was narrator in this one.
  7. Fan Scrooge (A Christmas Carol, 2014)
     Here's to many years of tackling some of my adult dream roles, including (but not limited to):
  • Grace (Annie)
  • Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
  • Any of the daughters in Fiddler on the Roof
     Do you love theater? Share some of your dream roles in the comments.

     And be sure to check out my theater Pinterest board for more thespian inspiration.


~Madeline

1 comment:

  1. Just an FYI...it's not too late for Jo March. The lady that played that part for Theatre Coppell last summer was in her 30's with two children. She looked young and went with the other 20-somethings that played her sisters. Hoping you'll keep watching for opportunities to play your dream roles even if you don't think you fit the age. Often times, directors go for actors older than the listed age of the character.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Also, thank you for making my day brighter with your encouraging words. I cherish each and every comment. If you check back in a day or two, I should have responded to your note. Thanks for dropping me a line!

~Madeline