6.06.2016

In Celebration of Words


     I love words. Speaking them, writing them, reading them. I'm going to be an English major, for crying out loud! I have to love words!

     Today, I am participating in a little something called the power of words tag. Thank you, Katie Grace (over at A Writer's Faith) for nominating her humble readers (including me). You can see her answers here.

The Rules:

// Thank the person who nominated you and give a link to their blog.
// Answer the original 7 text-themed questions.
// Add a typography/word related question of your own for those you tagged to answer.
// Tag 6+ bloggers and let them know (via their blogs, social media, etc.)
// Include these rules in your post.

     Without further ado, here are the questions and my answers:

1. What is your favorite letter of the alphabet?

     I've always been partial to H. It looks so lovely however you write it. And as for the "h" sound, it's like a long sigh that you didn't know you needed to get out. Plus, it's home to happy words like hugs, humility, hippo, hash, hello, hope, etc.

2. What are three words that you love?

     Hm...three words I love are jubilee, rambunctious, and supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

*sings*
So when the cat has got your tongue, there's no need for dismay. Just summon up this word, and then you've got a lot to say.
*bows*

     Also, I love the word superfluous and use it superfluously.

3. What are three words that you hate?

     Petite, clown, and giblets were the first three that popped into my head. Am I weird? Don't answer that! :)

4. If you were to create a word, what would it be?

     Joke's on you! I already created one:

     Pafoofy adj. /pa-foof-ē/ extremely fluffy; having poof
     Ex. Her hair was pafoofy from the humidity.

5. What are your three favorite punctuation marks?

     In blogging, I use this one ~ a lot. It's just a lovely way to break things up. I'm also partial to | as of late. Not sure what either of those are actually called. *Googles it*

     So, I suppose it doesn't count as punctuation technically. ~ is a tilde (~ , pronounced TILL-duh or TILL-dee and sometimes called a "twiddle" or a "squiggle"). How fun! Learn something new every day! | is just called a vertical bar. Poor thing. Doesn't quite live up to tilde, does it? But it's awesome for separating things prettily (especially in Twitter bios).

     My third fave would be braces {}. I don't use them as often as I should. They're so fun and lovely!

6. What are your three favorite fonts?


     When using PicMonkey, I almost always use Great Vibes. And call me boring, but I really do like Times New Roman. I mean, can you type an entire novel in a font and not grow attached? Just discovered number three, Lavanderia in PicMonkey while creating the graphic above.

7. What is one word that means a lot to you?

     Hope is my word of the year for 2016, so I am filling a journal with hope quotes, pictures, verses, etc. Grace also means a lot to me. It's my middle name and something I learned a lot about in middle school and early high school. grace > perfection

~

Katie's question for me:

What's one word that makes you laugh?

     Boggle. It's a goofy and fun word to use. :)

~

     My question for the people I tag:

What everyday word do you think would be cool for a child's/character's name?

     For example, I'd love to be called Serendipity, but it's not technically a name.

I TAG...
Kristen | Aimee | Naya | Zac | Wendy | Annie | + you

~Madeline

4 comments:

  1. Rambunctious! I don't think I've ever seen it spelled out before... but my mom calls my sister that a lot. :P

    Everyday word for a name? OOH. Actually, when I was younger I named one of my dolls "Apricot." Now the fruit sounds weirder to me than the name, heh. xD

    Thanks for doing the tag! I loved reading your answers. :D

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apricot is an awesome name! One of my fictional characters is called Sage. Food names for the win!

      Delete
  2. Since I don't have a blog, I'm going to respond to yours with my answers...well, the ones I could answer.

    1. Favorite letter = J -- I like the way it's written in cursive and print. It's not a common letter.

    2. 3 words you love = joy, love and bubble

    3. 3 words you hate = cockroach is one. I'm sure 2 more will come to me later.

    4. Create a word = superfantabulous. I love this word because I use it when I wish people a birthday that's more than super, fantastic and fabulous put together...it's superfantabulous!

    5. 3 favorite punctuation marks = ! (which I know I overuse!) :: (love the implied meaning of "=") and * (it can be used so many ways!!)

    6. 3 favorite fonts :: Bradley Hand ITC, Hellow Heartache & Arial (for the same reason you love TNR)

    7. 1 word that means a lot = JOY. It was my grandma's last name & my mom's maiden name (when I knew her), so I've always loved it. Now that they are in heaven, it's means even more. Since my mom's passing, I've had a few different people describe me as "joyous" or "full of joy" and that just means more to me than anything in the world.

    8. Everyday word --> character name. While I also love "Apricot", I came up with "Carnation". It's my favorite flower and would be a cute name for a young, humble girl that is often overlooked by others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how beautiful! I love all your responses, especially "J," superfantabulous, and "Carnation." And yes, you are definitely one of the most joyful people I know! It radiates from your head to your toes!
      Love,
      Little MO

      Delete

Thank you for reading! Also, thank you for making my day brighter with your encouraging words. I cherish each and every comment. If you check back in a day or two, I should have responded to your note. Thanks for dropping me a line!

~Madeline