3.27.2017

My 10 Favorite Verses


     Way back in 2013, when TLD was just an itsy bitsy wee wittle baby, I wrote a post concerning some of my favorite Bible verses. It's been so long since I've revisited that list, but I needed to today.

     Why? I need to pick a "favorite verse" for senior celebratory purposes. The trouble is, I'm kind of between favorite verses right now. 1 Timothy 4:12 was my favorite for a long time, with Psalm 19:14 as a close second. So please help me choose one of the verses below? I'd love your imput!



     My "requirements" were:

  • Uncommon, not too easily recognizable
  • Not cliche
  • Unique (not one that is repeated hundreds of times in Scripture)
  • Witty
  • Profound
  • One of the truest truths in my life
     Of course, I recognize that these are insane things to ask of a single verse. It's really the whole Bible together that made me who I am today.

     But here are a few of the Scriptures that I am looking at and considering as a new favorite as well as for senior celebrations, announcements, etc.

1. Ecclesiates 6:11 "The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" This is my current honest-to-goodness fave, which I am afraid would be ironic to some people if I used it. It's witty and perfect for an English major, though.

2. John 1:5 "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." I love this picture of light and dark, but my brother says it's cheesy.

3. 2 Corinthians 3:5 "Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God." I love the humility encompassed in this verse and how it gives all the glory to God. No obvious cons, so all in all, a pretty great option.

4. Proverbs 18:10 "The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." The only reason I would use this one is that my name "Madeline" means "high tower." But most people don't know what my name means, and the part about the righteous might come across cocky. I don't know. Am I being paranoid???

5. Ezekiel 11:19 "I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh." I know this is a more popular verse, but I love the wording and picture it paints.

6. Psalm 31:24 "Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord." I came across this one last summer when I had "hope" as my word of the year. I went crazy hand-lettering it everywhere; it's even been on our Sunday school classroom bulletin board all year, so I'll probably pass on using this one.

7. Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." This is a long-time favorite that I love enough to throw in the mix. :)

8. 1 Peter 3:4 "Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." I love this one, and it's not too cocky because this is something I am working on.

9. Mark 4:27 "Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how." I love picturing myself as the seed, that doesn't know how it grows. A lovely picture as I go off to college.

10. 1 Corinthians 13:7 "{Love} always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." Since loving God is the greatest commandment and loving others is the second, this verse guides me into how to love well. It reminds me to follow God's love, the only perfect love.

     I know I'm probably going about this all the wrong way. I just have time to spend on this choice, so I want to choose well.

     I hope, more than anything, that these verses bring you some encouragement today. :)

     "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar." ~Proverbs 30:5-6

~Madeline

8 comments:

  1. Ooooh, #1, #3, and #8 spoke out to me. Good luck and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm leaning toward #3 and #8 now, but #1 will always be a sassy fave. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Colton. As I read through the list, #8 leapt off the page. It encompasses who you are as a person...beautiful, gentle, quiet in spirit. It all comes from God, but he blessed both you and your mom with these wonderful qualities. And you did your job...I was very encouraged today :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thank you!!! A quiet and gentle spirit is something I continue to ask God for. Love you too!

      Delete

Thank you for reading! Also, thank you for making my day brighter with your encouraging words. I cherish each and every comment. If you check back in a day or two, I should have responded to your note. Thanks for dropping me a line!

~Madeline