Skip to main content

40 Life-Changing Books to Read in the New Year

 


     The end of the year is here, and with it, I have completed my Goodreads reading challenge with flying colors. More important than the number of books one reads is the quality of those books. And while this year I did read my fair share of fluffy chick lit and some comedic nonfiction, a few books stood out from the rest.

     Below are the 5-star books I read in 2022. The only way I give a book a perfect set of stars is if I find it life-changing. The following fiction and nonfiction lists merited that rating. Often, this means that I can't stop talking about the ideas from the nonfiction and that I had my mind blown by the fiction.

NONFICTION

     This was a fantastic year for nonfiction for me, and I found all seventeen of these radically impacted me in one way or another.

The Comfort Book by Matt Haig
Contentment: Seeing God's Goodness by Megan Hill
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life by Henry Cloud and John Townsend
Poison for Breakfast by Lemony Snicket
Outdated: Finding Love That Lasts When Dating Has Changed by Jonathan Pokluda
Atlas of the Heart: Mapping Meaningful Connection and the Language of Human Emotion by Brené Brown
Elements of Style: Designing a Home & a Life by Erin Gates
Know My Name by Chanel Miller
I Feel Bad About My Neck and Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron
Patience: Waiting with Hope by Megan Hill
We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting by Pamela Druckerman
I Guess I Haven't Learned That Yet by Shauna Niequest
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
There Are No Grown-Ups: A Midlife Coming-of-Age Story by Pamela Druckerman
Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom
Soul Keeping: Caring for the Most Important Part of You by John Ortberg

FICTION

     I only read five fiction books this year that merited a full 5-star rating. These take the cake for storytelling and intrigue! I was sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell
The Push by Ashley Audrain
Watching You by Lisa Jewell
The Golden Couple by Greer Hendricks
The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz


Honorable Mentions: A Few 4-Star Gems I Loved

NONFICTION

Wintering by Katherine May
Taste: My Life Through Food by Stanley Tucci
Minimalista: Your Step-by-Step Guide to a Better Home, Wardrobe, and Life by Shira Gill
Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey
Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of a Modern Royal Family by Omid Scobie
Traveling with Pomegranates: A Mother and Daughter Journey to the Sacred Places of Greece, Turkey, and France by Sue Monk Kidd
Sacred Pathways: Discover Your Soul's Path to God by Gary L. Thomas

FICTION

Crooked House by Agatha Christie
It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover
The Maid by Nita Prose
Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Maisy Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear
The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell
Apples Never Fall by Liane Mortiarty
Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death by James Runcie
The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary
Carrie Soto Is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid

~

     This is my top 40 books from this year. What are your top books? Did you read any that shocked you with their twist endings or changed your life with their principles?

     These are the books we'll return to over and over again. They'll radically change our new year.

     Happy 2023!

~Madeline

Comments

You May Also Like...

Pride & Prejudice and Beauty and the Beast: 10 Wild Similarities You Never Noticed

6 Ways to Avoid the Endless Text Conversation

Sorting Bible Characters into Hogwarts Houses