Skip to main content

3 Things I've Learned Through Two-Stepping

 


     Sporadically in 2022, I joined a few friends at a dance hall to try something new: two-stepping, Texas's favorite country dance. I got outside of my comfort zone and grew in confidence and experiences.

     But recently, this new hobby has become the most fun I've ever had dancing (and I've danced at my fair share of cousins' weddings and summer camp days). Not only has it been amazing fun, but also I've noticed some subtle shifts within myself. And the Lord has been using this place and these people to teach me so much.

     This month, I've finally gotten over the learning curve where I can say I'm no longer awful. I'm a beginner, but I'm picking up the dance moves and the life lessons very quickly.

     Here are three things I've learned through my dozen or so nights dancing with my friends.


1. Relax.

     I had no idea how stiff and scared I was last May when I started dancing until someone pointed it out to me. Other girls have confirmed that they were uneasy at first too, so at least I'm not alone in this. But I started actively working on relaxing when even my manicurist was saying I was tense.

     This mental flip allows me to be smoother in my dancing and more comfortable with my partner. How do I relax? Practice, practice, practice. Sometimes I choose to get out there when I don't feel relaxed. Then I have to remind myself that it's more fun for everyone when I can go with the flow. (And one drink doesn't hurt either!) As a typically type-A person, this one did take a lot of time to get used to.

2. Trust.

     It's taken a dozen nights of dancing, but I can finally go the whole dance without glancing over my shoulder or even looking around at the other couples (the girl two-steps backwards around the floor). This is, of course, dependent upon the guy being a half-decent, trustworthy leader. I've learned to trust I am not in danger of collision and that they'll catch me when I stumble.

     This trust does not come naturally to me, but I can practice it moment to moment and whip my head back to my partner when my eyes start to drift to the obstacles around us. Also, it's not the end of the world if we do collide with another couple; statistically, everyone has survived that 100% of the times I've knocked into them.

3. Follow.

     I have learned how to follow better than I did at first (still a work in progress). With a glance in a direction, my partner can indicate where I need to move. With the touch of his hand, he can let me know it's time to spin. All of this following means I have to trust his plan for our moves and pay attention to the verbal and nonverbal communication.

     Once I started following, there was a clear shift in how the conversations went while dancing. Instead of guys telling me what I need to work on, they started complimenting me on something about my dancing. When I can follow, I'm a much more graceful dancer. Anticipating a turn only makes me look like I'm trying to lead.

~

     Just like that, I've experientially learned how to relax, trust God, and follow His lead. He always knows where we're going next, better than any human partner would. Each day is an opportunity to relax my shoulders, trust in His promises, and follow the look in His eyes.

     I am grateful for this season of learning and growing in a skill set (country dancing) that was completely foreign to me a year ago.

     I look forward to whatever the Lord teaches me next.

~Madeline

Comments

  1. Beautiful…just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job 🤗😘

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful correlation for our faith and trust.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I cherish each and every comment and usually respond within a day or two. ~Madeline

You May Also Like...

Pride & Prejudice and Beauty and the Beast: 10 Wild Similarities You Never Noticed

6 Ways to Avoid the Endless Text Conversation

Sorting Bible Characters into Hogwarts Houses