Skip to main content

How to Cope with Transition

 


     For the past several years, I have had the structure of semesters as a college student. Each fall, spring, or summer yielded new classes and routines with an occasional new roommate or internship.

     Even when I knew changes were coming, I had to carefully ease into the new experiences. My mind, body, and soul are so closely linked that forcing myself into a new season would be jarring for all three. And trust me, freshman year I learned that the hard way.

     Now I am learning to understand a transition that is not marked by semesters, calendar years, school years, or even global pandemics. It is instead marked by a new opportunity without an end date: a full-time, 9-5 job. As I anticipated this transition, I tried to be proactive in the way I arranged my January, knowing that I would be learning a lot and working even harder this month as I adjusted.

     These are the three things I keep telling myself as I rearrange priorities, enjoy a new routine, and try to avoid burnout (see also: freshman year of college).

1. Be gentle (with yourself).

     Remember that things do not have to be perfect because this is a stage of figuring life out. Even if you're 65 and transitioning into retirement, it's new to you, this life stage that does not come with a manual. I'm choosing to be gentle with myself when it comes to my goals, my morning routine, and my evening commitments. This means that I can make exceptions to my own rules and work things out one day at a time.

2. Be proactive.

     Thinking ahead to the next day or the next week doesn't necessarily mean planning out every detail. You may need to just say, "Let's see what I'm feeling like that day." But with gentleness, a little bit of proactive thought goes a long way in setting yourself up for success in your new life stage. For example, my dad suggested that I bring my passport to work on the first day when I was likely to need identification documents for employment paperwork. I've also found that going to sleep before I feel like I'm dying of fatigue is always a good move.

3. Be patient.

     Everyone says that good things take time, but sometimes good things surprise you right off the bat. Choose to be grateful for new things in your life stage. And when things don't go exactly as you hoped or planned, remember that you are in a marathon, not a sprint. Move slower, breathe deeper, and don't let your calendar run your days.

~

     I'm primarily saying all of these things because I am learning them experientially this month and then repeating them to myself daily.

     For any of you starting a new routine at school or work, moving to a new location, giving yourself to different tasks, or transitioning into any new life season this year, this one's for you!

~Madeline

Comments

You May Also Like...

Trays

6 Ways to Avoid the Endless Text Conversation

Sorting Bible Characters into Hogwarts Houses