Skip to main content

Books Worth Rereading in 2016


     This week is my spring break, and I've been doing a little bit of spring reading. :)

     It's a perfect time to share with you the books I am planning on rereading in 2016. These books are ones that I either haven't read in a while or that are so amazing that I read them every year.

     I will share a tidbit of why I like this book as well as why it's worth rereading this year.

     And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (times read: 1)~ The suspense and mind-boggling-ness is what made it a favorite in the first place. I want to reread it because I totally missed the most important part the first time I read through it. (Also, I'd like to confirm for myself that it is one of my favorites.)

     Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne (times read: 1)~ I loved the plot twist at the end, and now I want to reread it since seeing the movie.

     The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (times read: 2)~ This is a book I'll be reading annually. It's just so beautiful! I want to reread it because the story is captivating, and the prose is lyrical.

     Emma by Jane Austen (times read: 1)~ I just read this one for the first time in 2015, and I am already ready to relive it. I had to read it for school the first time, so reading it slowly and for pleasure will be fun.

     The Giver by Lois Lowry (times read: 1)~ I was obsessed with this series when I first read it. I've been wanting to reread it since I saw the movie. (Because we all know the book it better.)

     I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (times read: 1)~ I love the writing more than the plot of this book. I want to reread it because I recommended it to my bookish cousin, and she really liked it.

     The Mysterious Benedict Society series by Trenton Lee Stewart (times read: 1)~ I adore this series, and I want to reread it because of the story and because I now own the entire series

     A Life of Faith series by Martha Finley and others (times read: so many!)~ This series completely shaped my childhood. I reread these so many times when I was a preteen (back when I had tons of time to read). It's high time I read them again. They're that amazing! The A Life of Faith series has four series and one stand-alone book within it: Elsie Dinsmore (8 books), Millie Keith (8 books about Elsie's cousin), Violet Travilla (8 books about Elsie's daughter), Kathleen Mckenzie (4 books about some distant relation of Millie), and Laylie (1 book about Millie's slave). These are all abridged/adapted for younger readers from the Elsie Dinsmore series by Martha Finley.

     Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (times read: 1)~ If I claim this is my favorite Jane Austen novel, I'd better read it more than once, don't you think? Plus, I now have my own pretty copy to read.

     Simply Tuesday by Emily P. Freeman (times read: 1)~ This one nonfiction book made it on this list because the message is something I need to hear/read again. It's all about humility, slowing down, smallness, and the beauty of the ordinary.

     A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (times read: 2, once abridged)~ This story is amazing. I know I've ranted about it before. Now I have my own copy, and I don't have to read it for school.

     A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (times read: 2)~ I really want to reread this while reading A Circle of Quiet, L'Engle's nonfiction journal. The characters have really stuck with me, and I want to read the whole series this time.

     The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (times read: 1)~ My mom read it last year, which made me remember how good it is. I realized I need to reread it when she was asking me questions about it, and I couldn't remember the story at all. That's a problem, especially when I remember really loving it.



     So now you have almost as many books to read as are in Ilsa Hermann's library. ;) I plan to reread all of these in 2016, in addition to my very tall stacks of TBR.

     A lot of these I love because the characters and nuances have stuck with me. I often find myself thinking of these books and how much I love them when I am reading some other book.

     We'll see how I do. My goal is to read 60 books in 2016. What books from your childhood or even last year do you hope to revisit soon?

~Madeline

Comments

You May Also Like...

Pride & Prejudice and Beauty and the Beast: 10 Wild Similarities You Never Noticed

How Old Are You?

Trays