Skip to main content

Summer Reading Is My Only Reading


     Let's talk books.

     It's been a while since we've talked about anything, and my reading life has suffered in a similar manner this past school year. Confession time--

     I had not read a single book in 2018 until this month.

      I have since finished six books and found it's easier for me to finish books I am already 30% or so of the way through than it is for me to pick up a new book and start from scratch. Since I've picked up the written word, I've barely been able to put it down without finishing whatever book I am working on.

     And I'm supposed to be an English major! It just goes to show that reading slumps can happen to anyone and can be very severe droughts without you even realizing it.

     So, for me to continue summer reading and to inspire you to crack open that dusty volume, I present the books I've recently finished and the ones I'm reaching for next:

Recently Finished

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
I finally got around to reading this after seeing the movie with J.J. Feild and Emily Blunt back in 2015. It's simply one of the best mystery books, thanks to Agatha Christie's flawless writing.

Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh (second read-through)
I snagged this at one of the monthly Mississippi College book sales, and I was so glad to reread the truths it holds about life and womanhood and Christianity.

Greenglass House by Kate Milford
This is a middle grade novel that fell short of The Mysterious Benedict Society, but I hadn't read it yet when I bought a signed copy in New York in 2017.

Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman by Anne Ortland
If you read any book on this list, read this one! It perfectly sums up so much of what it means to live simply and elegantly while on fire for Christ. Just AHHHH!

Big Mushy Happy Lump by Sarah Andersen
Herding Cats by Sarah Andersen
I read these two comics just to get some more books under my belt and to take a break from some of the more serious literature. Highly recommend for millennials who want a light read!

Currently Reading

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Come Find Me, Sage Parker by Aliza Latta

On My Nightstand

Non-Fiction
The Irrational Season (Crosswicks Journal no. 3) by Madeleine L'Engle
Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot
L'art de la Simplicité: How to Live More With Less by Dominique Loreau
Everyone Always by Bob Goff

Fiction
Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrick Backman
Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly

     These three lists of books together are the cornerstone of my summer reading. But often I get distracted by movies and Netflix:
Breakfast at Tiffany's (Netflix)
Steel Magnolias
Set It Up (Netflix Original)
The Great British Baking Show (Netflix)

     As always, comment below, and subscribers can hit reply to send me a direct line. Love you all!

~Madeline

Comments

You May Also Like...

Pride & Prejudice and Beauty and the Beast: 10 Wild Similarities You Never Noticed

How Old Are You?

6 Ways to Avoid the Endless Text Conversation