Skip to main content

Ode to Mississippi


You have no homework to do
You have no one to listen to you speak
And so write in this safe space
Tell the stories you long to leak.

MISSISSIPPI

Crooked letters and humpbacked whales
Dancing before my eyes
I didn’t know anything but that
I didn’t like Oklahoma or Alabama.

And so I came to a place
Where they write their letters crooked
And I took it upon myself to straighten them out
Letters and essays and blog posts and texts.

I found typos and flaws
And terrific friends
Who reminded me that Millillilli isn’t a word
So I won’t straighten Mississippi out.

~Madeline

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I cherish each and every comment and usually respond within a day or two. ~Madeline

You May Also Like...

Pride & Prejudice and Beauty and the Beast: 10 Wild Similarities You Never Noticed

How Old Are You?

6 Ways to Avoid the Endless Text Conversation