Skip to main content

Why New Year's Day Is the Best Holiday


     Recently, I was in a conversation with my mentor, and I mentioned my love for New Year's. As the conversation progressed, I realized it was more of a passionate speech on my part.

     I was spreading my love for the overlooked holiday without even trying.

     "It's all about new beginnings and creating the best year yet," I said. "There are precisely seven days between Christmas Day and New Year's Day, during which no one will invite you to a holiday party because they'll assume you're out of town."

     She smiled, and the wind blew through my hair, making me sit up even more eagerly.

     "But you're not. You're not out of town. You're cooking up goals for the new year and choosing a word that you want to learn about. You're summarizing the past year in the last few pages of journals and selecting which journals you'll fill next."

     With so many fresh starts, organizational opportunities, and writing ideas, it's no wonder I love this holiday.

     I've never met anyone with the same favorite day, which also makes me want to treasure New Year's Day as something that makes me unique.

     The icing on the cake is how classy New Year's parties can be. It always makes me think of Adeline Bowman from The Age of Adeline. (This is still somehow my most popular post ever on The Little Decorator.) However, this Gatsby-esque party isn't what everyone thinks of when it comes to New Year's parties. But it's the party we'll choose to dwell on for the sake of my argument. :)


     Perhaps my obsession with the last and first day of the year began in my earliest blogging years when posts with titles such as 15 Fresh Start Ideas for Your New Year and How to Plan Your Best Year Ever really piqued my interest.

     Each year, my love of learning and reflecting only grows.

     I learn from my past, which allows me to head into a fresh year guilt-free, letting go of the previous year's "mistakes." Without this reflection on my own life, I would not be able to start the new year with the confidence and freedom I feel on January 1st.

     What do you plan to do with your last seven days of 2018? Comment below to let me know!

~Madeline

Comments

You May Also Like...

Trays

6 Ways to Avoid the Endless Text Conversation

Sorting Bible Characters into Hogwarts Houses