Skip to main content

Dear Marie Kondo: Minimalism Takes Time


Dear Marie Kondo,

     I read your book when it was at least warm off the press, and now every college student I know is curious about your new Netflix series.

     I stand all of my clothes up in my dresser drawers, and my dorm room is cleaner than ever. You're right - it's harder to fall back into old habits when you're focused on keeping the things that spark joy. I haven't fallen back into clutter, and I've seen my three closest girl friends each catch the tidying bug.

     But it takes time.

     I've KonMaried my bedroom and my dorm room multiple times, and every time it gets closer to my ideal lifestyle. But it's taken me months.

     Personalities not like mine may take even longer to get through all the steps. I've helped friends pile all the clothes on their beds, and I've gotten pictures of perfectly folded clothes. I know my college peers are working through it like champions, but some are more reluctant than others.

     Because not all of us know who we are yet.

     Marie, you are a saint but not a miracle-worker. We have to work our own miracles when it comes to tidying.

     People expect this to change their lives, but honestly, I see it as a life change over months as we adapt our lifestyles more and more.

     The bottom line?

     We college students are trying to figure out who we are, and you are a great help. But it may take us longer than well-established adults to truly pare down our possessions to only the things that spark joy.

Sincerely,
Madeline Osigian

Comments

You May Also Like...

Pride & Prejudice and Beauty and the Beast: 10 Wild Similarities You Never Noticed

6 Ways to Avoid the Endless Text Conversation

Sorting Bible Characters into Hogwarts Houses