Skip to main content

3 Lessons I Learned from Teaching Preschool


     In September, I started working at a local preschool two days a week while also completing an editorial internship the other days of the week. The preschool/after-school center was one of my favorite parts of my week.

     I got to spend time with little two-year-old boys and girls, taking care of up to eleven of them all by myself and up to seventeen of them with another teacher!

     While they were a handful every afternoon I was there, I also had such sweet moments every day where I would get to read to them, rub their backs to get them to sleep, or help them identify the colors of their Fruit Loops at snack time.

     They soaked up everything like little sponges, but they were not the only ones learning.

     I learned several lessons about how God sees me as I wrangled little ones who were helpless without me.

1. If you love me, you will obey my commandments.

I often had to remind the rambunctious little ones that they had said that they loved me earlier that day. But now they dared to tell me "NO"? I would gently get down on their level and remind them that I am the teacher, and they are to obey me. John 14:15 makes so much sense now. I want to show God that I love Him by responding to Him in obedience.


2. The Lord your God will fight for you. You need only be still.

"All your friends are asleep. Just close your eyes and pretend to sleep," I whispered to the wide-awake toddler. I learned this trick during naptime at family camp, and it always gets the two-year-olds to surrender to sleep. When they just close their eyes for a few moments, it is enough. Exodus 14:14 comes to mind when the little ones finally let their eyes get heavy. Sometimes we need only to be still in trust and surrender, and the Lord will do the rest.

3. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful.

One-on-one time with the kids was rare, so I had to maximize those singular moments with them. Helping them wash hands, comforting them on the playground, or walking them out the door, I would talk to them about what they were thinking and feeling. Each child is unique and clever in their own way. This reminds me of how God never leaves us but can give everyone one-on-one attention since He is omnipresent. He tenderly made me and wants to spend time with His creation. Like Psalm 139:14 says, we can praise Him for this!

~

     I will leave you with a great story from one of my preschoolers. While changing her, I asked her what rain is since it was raining that day. She responded, "It's when the spider comes up the water spout." These are the sweet moments that make it all so funny and so very worth it!

     While I am no longer working at the preschool, I will always happily reflect on my time there as an afternoon teacher. These lessons about God are just the bonuses!

~Madeline

Comments

  1. I chuckled as I imagined the sweetness of those kiddos you got to love on. What simple yet vital (and often forgotten) truths you expressed! Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I cherish each and every comment and usually respond within a day or two. ~Madeline

You May Also Like...

Pride & Prejudice and Beauty and the Beast: 10 Wild Similarities You Never Noticed

6 Ways to Avoid the Endless Text Conversation

How Old Are You?