Skip to main content

What's Saving Your Life Right Now?

 


     January can be drearya long month as bland as plain Cheerios. February is shorter, and halfway through it, there's a holiday. Even so, for many it may not be a celebration.

     And so the months pass, January and February, with little else to recommend them but their indoor hygge, which makes it easier for me to get through a thick stack of library books. For those into winter sports, these months offer a unique outdoor experience toocrisp white snow.

     When these wintry months hit, how do you survive? How do you thrive?

     For me, if I find something that works to keep me sane, I hold onto it and try to share it with others. In this way, it may just be "saving my life," as Anne Bogel of Modern Mrs. Darcy says.

     Without further ado, here is what's saving my life right now. Please share yours in the comments below!


This curling iron ~ My amazing brother bought it for me off of my Christmas list after my cousin recommended it, and it's actually the first hair-styling item I have ever owned! It's so nice to be able to turn my wild waves into controlled curls. I can curl all my locks in just about twenty minutes flat now (get it? flat!), and this curling iron prevents burns!

Driving with the windows down  ~ One of the perks of living in Texas is being able to bask in the outdoors despite the season. Our mild winters allow for sunshine and temperatures up to 70 degrees any day that it's not cloudy and rainy. My favorite playlist right now is an old faithful, called listening. I think I created it in high school, and it gives good vibes year-round.

Lighting this peppermint candle ~ This is one way that I can still enjoy the holidays into the new year without playing "Jingle Bells" on repeat.

Eating savory foods and dark chocolate ~ Taking care of oneself doesn't stop in the winter, and these foods are the ones that keep me feeling my best: grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts (never thought I'd say that!), rice, avocado, greens, and Hu dark chocolate. These keep my energy up throughout the day and prevent acne-triggering spikes in blood sugar.

Dressing for comfort in solid colors ~ My "style" right now is professional Monday through Friday and jeans on the weekends, but what keeps it all uniform is the palette of solid colors that comprise my current wardrobe. Patterned shirts and dresses might be great in the spring, but for now I'll stick with my velvet shirts, jewel tones, and gold jewelry, all layered together. Even black has become a new staple in my professional wardrobe!

     Five little things, but they're keeping me sane day in and day out through these wintry blues.

     What's saving your life right now?

~Madeline

Comments

You May Also Like...

Trays

6 Ways to Avoid the Endless Text Conversation

Sorting Bible Characters into Hogwarts Houses