Skip to main content

The 10 Books I Cannot Live Without | 2015 Edition


     December 20th marked the anniversary of last year's "books I cannot live without" post. Let's make it an annual assessment of our favorites.

     Here's how it works: These are by no means my favorite ten books. I don't think I could ever choose those. They are simply the books I would choose right now if I could only have ten books for the rest of my life on the hypothetical deserted island.

     The ways they've shaped me or the wonders within that I want to revisit vary from book to book.

     But they'd all be with me today if the house burned down or if I was suddenly sent off to boarding school. Very big "ifs".


  1. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery ~ I am Anne, and Anne is me. That's all there is to it. I read this for "A book from your childhood" this year and remembered how much it has shaped me as a person.
  2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak ~ This book is Anne's twin. I cried both times I read this book, and now that I own it, I doubt I'll ever leave it behind. Perfect for those days you want something heavy yet light, melodramatic and poetic.
  3. Emma by Jane Austen ~ I got this copy for my birthday and ended up doing an ENGL 1301 passion project based on it. That project only reaffirmed my love for this story. The movie with Ramola Garai is awesome too.
  4. The Giver by Lois Lowry ~ The book that shattered me and made me fall in love with dystopian worlds. The rest of the Giver quartet is also worth your time.
  5. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens ~ This book exceeded my expectations this year and pulled my sentimental heartstrings.
  6. Tales From Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb ~ This book tells the basic stories of Shakespeare plays so that when you read Shakespeare, you will understand it.
  7. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeliene L'Engle ~ I haven't read this entire series, but this book is one summer reading book that has pulled me back into its world. It's one I think about all the time.
  8. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen ~ This book was on my list last year. It's one of only two that is on both lists. Favorite Jane Austen ever!
  9. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart ~ Love this whole series! This is the second book that overlapped. My favorite thing about it is its memorable characters.
  10. The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart ~ The sequel. I just bought it for myself this year, which is why it's on the list.
     Many of these I bought or received in 2015, which is why I couldn't put them on my list last year. By the way, you can check out last year's here.

~Madeline

Comments

You May Also Like...

Pride & Prejudice and Beauty and the Beast: 10 Wild Similarities You Never Noticed

6 Ways to Avoid the Endless Text Conversation

How Old Are You?